Marchionne and Montezemolo at loggerheads
- November 25, 2019
- No Comments
Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne and former chairman Luca di Montezemolo obviously disagree on the Scuderia’s approach to F1’s new regulations.
While it’s still early days, Marchionne has praised the team’s performance this week in Barcelona although he remains guarded over the future, refraining from any bold claims which only set up fans for disappointment.
“We are optimistic,” Marchionne is quoted by Italian media.
” I don’t know if this machine is able to win the championship. But we will not be ashamed this year, and that is important.
“It’s more powerful, for sure. From what I saw yesterday, I’m happy. The forecasts that we did have been fulfilled.
“The behavior of the car on the track is in line with expectations. It is a huge step forward compared to where we were last year.”
Luca di Montezemolo, the man who used to preside over Ferrari’s destiny says the team’s approach this year is not without risk.
“Ferrari made a risky choice,” he told Italian radio Rai.
“They want to have a car constructed exclusively by Italian engineers, but in F1 you need the best people in the industry. Excellence is not always in a single country.”
Furthermore, another winless year would entice Sebastian Vettel to move to greener pastures, says di Montezemolo.
“He will assess the competitiveness of this car after two or three races. As his contract expires, he will then decide his future.
“Raikkonen? He is not the future of Ferrari,” Montezemolo added.
As for the team’s performance in pre-season testing so far, the Italian believes it is irrelevant.
“Good lap times are positive, but times that are worth something will only be in Melbourne.”
GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Click Here: State of Origin Jerseys